When it comes to our health, the first line of thought is to simply take something to feel better. While this may work, it’s only a temporary fix. In other words, instead of focusing on treating the symptom, lets get to the source of your health issue:
- You have headaches? Why do you have headaches? Did you know eye strain can cause headaches? Poor posture can even cause headaches. Get to the source.
- Are you overweight? Why are you overweight? Are you eating too much of the wrong foods? Why is that? Are you stress eating? Why are you stressed? Do you eat the wrong foods when bored? Why are you bored? Let’s get to the source.
- Can’t sleep at night? Yes, taking a sleeping pill may help you sleep, but WHY are you having trouble sleeping? is something keeping you awake? Do you have trouble shutting off your brain? What are you thinking about? Do you go to bed at different times each night? Why? If you remove the actual cause of your insomnia, will that help you get better sleep naturally? Get to the source.
- Do you have high blood pressure? Why is your pressure high? Is it due to long term stress? What stresses you out? Does sitting in rush hour traffic stress you? Do you get angry or stressed when things don’t go your way? If you can reduce your stress levels will that help you lower your blood pressure? Let’s get to the cause of your high blood pressure.
These are just a few examples of things that may be bothering us. It’s easy to take a pill to deal with the symptoms, but what is causing the symptoms?
Avoid the Quick Fix
As a society, we want the quick fix. We want instant relief. Fast food is the norm. Microwaves can heat a full meal in 5 minutes or less. Food is delivered in 30 minutes or less. That convenience is nice, but when it comes to our health, that mindset could come at a steep price.
Another problem of dealing with the symptom is you never get better. How many people take high blood pressure meds for years? Anti-depressants? Insulin? The goal is to get better, not keep taking the same medication for forever.
If you’re not feeling well, look deeper. Find out WHY. Don’t just ease the symptom, determine what the real issue is and deal treat it. This is the key to achieving (and maintaining) good health. Instead of relying on a pill or vaccine to help you feel better. Look a little deeper. What you find might surprise you.
One of the most important things we can do is strengthen our immune systems. This means doing the following on a daily basis
- Eating healthy foods
- Getting plenty rest (6-8 hours of sleep nightly)
- Getting vitamin d (sunshine or supplements)
- Drinking 8 glasses of water daily
- Reduce consumption of fast, junk, and processed foods
- 30-60 minutes of exercise
- Keep stress levels low
Doing these things another healthy activities could potentially lessen the severity of health issues or eliminate them altogether. It’s very possible the treatment you need has nothing to do with the symptom.
Call To Action
If we want to be the best we can be, we must make a conscious effort to make that a realty. Pick up a copy of my books on improving your health and overall well-being: The 3 Pillars of Strength: Improving Your Physical, Mental and Spiritual Fitness and The Diet of Success: Healthy Eating Tips For Hard Working Professionals (Principles of Success). Both available on Amazon in paperback, eBook and audible formats.